At the March 21, 2017 Board of Trustees meeting, the members took a straw vote which resulted in unanimously agreeing to move forward with the Sanctuary discussion. This meant that the beginning of a sub-committee was formed with current Board members, and with the intention of increasing that committee to include members of the congregation. The charge given this sub-committee was to lead the congregation in a discernment process. This sub-committee includes the following members: Rhiannon Smith, Chuck Northrup, Megan Horton, Angela Garcia-Sims, Sophia Lopez-Zimmer, Mar Cardenas, and Michanne Hoctor-Thompson.
We have begun the work of discernment on sanctuary! The following are events in progress and up-coming:
- This Sunday, 3/18/18, at 1pm in Bard Hall, join the Sanctuary Sub-Committee and your Board of Trustees for a panel on Sanctuary. Guests include: UCC Pilgrim's Anna Runnion, Social Justice Minister, a local church who declared themselves a sanctuary, and Katia Hanson, J.D. - President & CEO of UURISE.
- Neighborhood groups have begun holding informal discussions with Board members and Sanctuary Sub-Committee members;
- People are answering questions at a table on the Hillcrest patio and after services at SouthBay;
- The proposed statement on Sanctuary is now in draft form! You can access it here.
- Sunday, 3/25/18, at 1pm in the Meeting House, join the Board of Trustees for a Congregational vote on Sanctuary!
- This webpage will house resources, information and additional links for further consideration.