Our Whole Lives Lifespan Sexuality Education Curricula at First UU San Diego
Our Whole Lives (OWL) is a series of sexuality education curricula for six age groups: grades K-1, grades 5-6, grades 7-9, grades 10-12, young adults (ages 18-35), and adults.
Our Whole Lives helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. It equips participants with accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas: human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture. Grounded in a holistic view of sexuality, Our Whole Lives not only provides facts about anatomy and human development, but also helps participants clarify their values, build interpersonal skills, and understand the spiritual, emotional, and social aspects of sexuality.
The Our Whole Lives values are:
• Self Worth
• Sexual Health
• Justice and Inclusivity
Each level of Our Whole Lives offers:
• Up-to-date information and honest, age-appropriate answers to all participants' questions
• Activities to help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
• Effective group-building to create a safe and supportive peer group
• Education about sexual abuse, exploitation, and harassment
• Opportunities to critique media messages about gender and sexuality
• Acceptance of diversity
• Encouragement to act for justice
• Parent orientation programs that affirm parents as the primary sexuality educators of their children
At First Church, OWL is administered on a rotating, alternating-year schedule, below; for Children in the Fall, for Youth, in the Winter. OWL is also offered at other UU churches within the San Diego cluster.
Group Past, Current, and [Anticipated Offerings]
Gr K-1 Winter, '14 Fall '16
Gr 4-6 Fall, '15 Fall '17
Gr 7-9 Winter, '10 Winter, '12 Winter, '14 Winter, '16
Gr 10-12 Winter, '11 Winter, '13 Winter, '15 [Winter, '17]
Young Adults (ages 18-35) Not on a regular basis, TBD
Adults Not on a regular basis, TBD
Further information may be found on the Unitarian Universalist Association website.
Kathe Larick, Coordinator, 619.298.9978 x 210 or firstname.lastname@example.org.